Thursday, September 12, 2013

Better Late than Never


Since moving into the house across the street earlier this summer (Yeah, I know...Aren't we lucky?), my mom has made my life immeasurably easier.  She has volunteered to help me wind and package yarn orders, pick up the boys from school while I dye yarn, volunteer in their classroom, make us dinner, run my errands, water my plants, walk the dog, the list goes on and on.  (Again - How lucky am I?)  It's her nature to think of others and how she can make their lives easier.  I am beginning to wonder how I ever got anything done without her help!    

Well, every year at about this time I come up with grandiose plans to knit her a sweater.  I have gone so far as to purchase the pattern and all the yarn.  Then, I put the whole lot in a bag and shove it into the bottom of the closet.  I'm not sure why.  It's as if I want the sweater to somehow be commensurate with all that she does for our family.  Unfortunately, the project never quite seems to measure up.

I promise, I am getting to the point here...
Shortly after moving to Colorado, my mom joined Weight Watchers and joined a gym.  While she wasn't terribly overweight, she felt sluggish and wasn't happy with how her clothes fit.  In just a few months she's lost 20 lbs and looks and feels fantastic.  I am so proud of her and figured a good way to show it would be to finally knit her that sweater.  I chose Hannah Fettig's Trail Jacket pattern and Luna Grey Aurora yarn in the Emerald colorway.  Hannah has a great style and her patterns are so well written.  The pattern seemed like a good choice, as my mom could wear it as a jacket in the spring and fall.  I am so pleased with the way the project is knitting up.  My mom looks beautiful in deep, jewel tone colors, so I can't wait to see her in this sweater!    

3 comments:

  1. I do believe you are the best daughter ever!! Please share pictures of her in it when it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift to give your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will certainly take photos of my mom in her sweater and share them in this space. It will look so much nicer on her than lying on a table : ) I think I will let her pick out the buttons. Maybe some Wooly Moss Roots buttons?

    ReplyDelete